News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Morocco coin...which one?

Started by Alan Glasser, September 20, 2011, 10:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Glasser

Hello everyone.

Going through my junk box of odds and ends today, rainy and cool so no gardening today and no piano students. day is free.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if this is Y-17.1 or Y-17.2? What do the inscriptions say?

Many thanks.  Alan

translateltd

Inscription on the denomination side is "duriba bi-Ingland" (struck in England).  The word above the date is just "year", as I understand it.

As a Birmingham Mint strike it would be Y#17.2 accordingly.  I see the 2010 SCWC doesn't show the Berlin mint name (as on Y#17.1) written out in Arabic letters in the introductory section, though the others are illustrated.

Alan Glasser

Thanks, translateld!!! I learned something!!! Struck in Britain, huh?

Alan

translateltd

Quote from: alglasser on September 20, 2011, 11:14:14 PM
Thanks, translateld!!! I learned something!!! Struck in Britain, huh?

Alan

Msgs crossed - I just updated my reply with more detail.

Figleaf

While Morocco was already under French influence, it was still independent when this coin was struck, with France, Britain, Germany and Spain trying to colonize it. France eventually won in 1912 AH (1330 AD.)

The coins struck in Fes show that Morocco was quite able to strike these coins itself, so I think the orders to Birmingham, London and Berlin can be seen as attempts to play off the would-be colonists against each other to preserve Moroccan independence. Didn't work. As the Thai experience shows, the colonizers wouldn't risk a war to stop each other.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

africancoins

For this topic see the first section of my page at...

http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/af-mor2.htm

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Alan Glasser

Wow...who would have thought that there is so much interesting history in this one little (well...not so little) coin. Just amazing. Thanks to you all, I know now that my example is from the Birmingham mint and is a Y-17.2. . Not a great rarity I guess...but deserves much more respect than "in the junk box".

It never ceases to amaze me how you guys come up with this stuff. Absolutely amazing group out there. I'm going to have to do some more digging. Have a few more oddities that I would like to learn about.

Many thanks. Morocco Y-17.2 from the Birmingham mint deserves a new holder and maybe a spot in a "better foreign" album.

Alan