Author Topic: Ottomans, Sultan Selim III, Yuzluk of uncertain metal, AH 1203, Istanbul  (Read 4504 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
I think this might be a fantasy piece because it's gilt brass, the gilt has remained very bright where it's not worn off  AH1203/ RY2

it weighs 28.5g   40mm  I can see coins like this in KM for Egypt & Turkey Ottoman very like KM#507 a 'Yuzluk' weight 31-32.9g  but in silver (& that KM value seems low for a heavy silver coin like that)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:07:01 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Large ottoman coin
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »
I'll take your word for the gilt brass, but on my screen it looks like silvered tin :)

I guess this would be a jeweller's piece.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:47:20 PM »
I'll take your word for the gilt brass, but on my screen it looks like silvered tin :)

Peter

There doesn't seem anything wrong with the design, and the silver is less than 50% so it wouldn't have a good colour even under the gilding.  Looks like a billon yuzluk to me - AH 1203/2 would be AD 1790 or thereabouts.  The mint name shown is Istanbul.

akona20

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:03:18 PM »
Correct I believe Sultan Selim 111. 1203

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:41:23 PM »
Unless there is some weird misunderstanding, cap'n says in his first post that his coin is gilt brass...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:06:58 AM »
Well I have seen a few of these and they all seem to look the same. I will see if I can find one for sale somewhere.

There are a few for sale and some from reputable sources. Basically they all look the same. This one is slightly light but that would not be unusual in some of these coins.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:20:00 AM by akona20 »

translateltd

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 02:15:56 AM »
Unless there is some weird misunderstanding, cap'n says in his first post that his coin is gilt brass...

Peter

I've seen some very yellowish-looking billon in my time - I don't honestly know how you would distinguish "gilt brass" from a gilt 46% silver alloy without some specific gravity testing.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
The mint name shown is Istanbul.

Mintname is Islambul.

translateltd

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 09:26:01 PM »
Mintname is Islambul.

I don't quite see the problem here.  Islambul = Istanbul (just like Qustantiniyah = Constantinople, Misr = Egypt etc. ...)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 10:13:53 PM »

Peter

It's definitely yellow metal that I always presumed to be brass , I cleaned the side with the toughra just a little but the other uncleaned side shows where the gilt has worn off & the metal underneath has tarnished.
I was given this coin as a boy in the1950's & it has remained a bright gold colour all this time so I think it has definitely been plated in gold at some time.  I also notice some cut marks on the edge as if it's been tested at some time
Vic

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »
I don't quite see the problem here.  Islambul = Istanbul (just like Qustantiniyah = Constantinople, Misr = Egypt etc. ...)

You are right of course: Islambul and Qustantiniya are the same mint. But You wrote about the mint"NAME".  ;)
Please, forgive me being so nitpicky ... :-[
In the future I will try getting cooler!  8)