News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Færoe Islands, 10 øre 1941

Started by capnbirdseye, September 12, 2011, 05:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Here's a scarce coin you could easily miss looking through a pile of old coins in a market or wherever. To spot it's from the Farao Islands the coins ares only dated 1941 and are almost identical to the regular Danish issues except there is no mint mark or designers initials.
Vic

FosseWay

The reason for the lack of mintmark is that they were minted at the Royal Mint in London (which has no mintmark), rather than the Danish Mint in Copenhagen, which was under German occupation.

The other difference between this Faeroese issue and standard Danish coins is that coins minted in Denmark for Danish use during WW2 were zinc, whereas the Faeroes issues were to the same specification as pre-war coins.

capnbirdseye

I didn't realise it was minted in England, thanks for the info,  the coin I have probably never even left the UK  8)
Vic

malj1

Quote from: FosseWay on September 12, 2011, 05:22:03 PM
The reason for the lack of mintmark is that they were minted at the Royal Mint in London (which has no mintmark),

Some Australian sixpences were struck in London during 1951 and were given the mint-mark PL thought to be Pecunia  Londinii money of London or Percussa Londinii struck at London.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

capnbirdseye

When it's mentioned that coins were struck in England it's often overlooked that a private mint in Birmingham of 'Ralph Heaton'  the worlds largest private mint was responsible in many cases.

Millions of coins for Africa,India, North America, France the list is staggering how they won contracts for all over the world, I read somewhere that the Rupee sized coin of Tibet based on the Indian Rupee was struck there with altered dies, millions of coins for the UK were truck there also with pennies of 1918/19 bearing the letter 'H'

read about the mint here:    http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Birmingham_Mint

Vic

translateltd

Quote from: malj1 on September 13, 2011, 12:17:29 AM
Some Australian sixpences were struck in London during 1951 and were given the mint-mark PL thought to be Pecunia  Londinii money of London or Percussa Londinii struck at London.

3ds as well - I've found a few of those dated 1951 with the PL mmk.  Wasn't PL used in Roman times by the mint in London?  Always thought it a bit precious that they resurrected those initials 1700 or so years later.

villa66

And some of Australia's 1951 bronze also carries the PL mintmark, which I accidently learned a couple of months ago.

:) v.

FosseWay

IIRC, the most common Roman mintmarks for London were PLON and PLN. It had never occurred to me that PL was a resurrection of the Roman mark. I can see that L by itself could have been confusing, since (non-Australian) coins were minted in Lahore only a few years before with the L mintmark, but I had never really questioned the P.

capnbirdseye

Did any of you notice from the link I posted that the Birmingham mint even produced an edition of the famous Maria Theresa thaler trade dollar in 1949 & still widely used in the middle east, even some of the curious African manillas were produced in Birmingham
Vic

malj1

Quote from: capnbirdseye on September 14, 2011, 11:53:59 AM
Did any of you notice from the link I posted that the Birmingham mint even produced an edition of the famous Maria Theresa thaler trade dollar in 1949 & still widely used in the middle east, even some of the curious African manillas were produced in Birmingham

A useful book A Numismatic History of the Birmingham Mint by James O Sweeny, mentions that many of these Trade dollars were produced by the Royal Mint who at times were too busy so orders were placed with the Birmingham mint; apart from that of 1949 they also produced them in 1953, 54 and 55.

...but I had never really questioned the P.

'P' was used by Perth, Western Australia for the sovereigns and halves.
Malcolm

<k>

Two more for my collection of bearded faces in circular images on avatars. Sure you're not the same person?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

malj1

Quote from: coffeetime on September 14, 2011, 01:26:16 PM
Two more for my collection of bearded faces in circular images on avatars. Sure you're not the same person?

Foiled again; and here was I pretending to be Albert Prince of Wales, while the Capn is his cousin!
Malcolm

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

capnbirdseye

Quote from: coffeetime on September 14, 2011, 01:26:16 PM

My beard has gone grey but my hair has stayed black, that's the only way to tell us apart  ;D ;D  8)
Vic