Palembang Pitis Coins Date?

Started by Stan, February 25, 2012, 10:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi, I know these are Palembang coins, but I can't date them. Can anyone help?

Figleaf

Many Palembang pitis are not dated, NvdC gives as first date 1061 AH (1650/1 AD) and as last date 1219 AH (1804/5 AD).

The coin on the left is NvdC 196 dated 1219 (9 running into 1). I do not recognize the second and third coin. The fourth coin is NvdC 190, dated 1130 AH (1717/8 AD)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Stan

Thanks for replying so quickly Peter!
So, you're saying the octagonal coin is dated 1219, correct?

What about the two on the far right? I've found a bunch of pitis without holes (like my far right coin), but the dating doesn't seem to match. Or maybe I'm not looking at the correct markings for the date...

Figleaf

Correct. Here is the date.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Stan

Thanks!
Any ideas on the two on the far right?

Figleaf

Here is the date that NvdC read as 1130. The illustration in the book doesn't show the zero either.

Peter

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Stan

Thanks again Peter!
Andyg, the third coin is dated 22. 22 what? 1222AH?

andyg

Quote from: Stan on February 26, 2012, 12:47:06 AM
Andyg, the third coin is dated 22. 22 what? 1222AH?

Oesho provided the answer a few posts below the one I linked to.

Quote from: Oesho on October 23, 2010, 02:00:15 PM
These type of pitis are undated and with corrupted Malay-Arabic inscription.
See for another specimen of the same type: http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=46683
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Stan

Got it!
Do you have any ideas about the second coin? Maybe the ruler or something?

natko

I believe it's #7 on my post here http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,7697.msg82879.html#msg82879

Peter has referenced it to NvdC#212

Unfortunately, I don't know much more of the piece. Whole Palembang sultanate is veiled in mysteries.

Figleaf

NvdC 212?, rather. The question mark is important. Stan, I'd be happy to send you (or any other member) a scan of the relevant pages in NvdC, if you wish. Let me know by PM.

Peter