Author Topic: Libya  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Harald

• Monetary History & Numismatic Linguistics
Libya
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:04:36 PM »
It appears that we can prepare ourselves for new banknotes & coins from this country. Probably even very quickly.

Beside the undeniable propaganda value (like getting rid of the neologism "jamahiriya" or the strange calendar),
there is also a practical reason. As probably no one can say how much money has been produced and apprehended
by the overthrown regime, it would be dangerous to leave it in their hands. so, the best is to do a quick conversion
(or a stamping) and watch who coming.

The 2009 set of coins has already been hard to get (in particular the 50 dirham). maybe it will become really scarce.

cheers
--
Harald

--
BTW, I have only now realised, how nice the country name looks in Arabic:  ليبيا  (mirror symmetric!)
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Libya
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
The few Libyan coins so far have been very boring and unattractive. My hope is that the whole region will follow the lead of Algeria and now Morocco, who both now have fine, modern, thematic sets. The United Arab Emirates also have a thematic set, designed in the 1970s by the Royal Mint, but it is looking rather dated now.

Offline Enlil

Re: Libya
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:32:20 AM »
Just wondering what the banknote supply is currently at, if it is fine then Libya has more important things to spend their money on, like basic services. So I doubt they will be in a hurry to issue a new design, maybe just alter the design or as said above, print over the current series. That said they need to remove Gadaffi from the 1 and 50 dinar banknotes.