Author Topic: Franc  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
Franc
« on: July 24, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »
Hello All
Attaching pictures of Franks which I have. I do not have much information about these coins. Experts can give more information.
Vivek
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:22:07 PM by coffeetime »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Frank
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »
Let's start with the easy stuff. :) The coins that say "République Française" are from France, the ones that say "Confoederatio Helvetica" are from Switzerland.

The pieces are, as far as I can tell, fairly common, so don't expect any particular riches here. The first two in the first image (1 fr, 5 fr) are "old franc" pieces, from before 1960 (currency reform). The two lower ones  - 1 fr, 2 fr - are "new franc" coins that were in use until the end of 2001; they can still be redeemed, I think.

In the second image you have (top row) a Swiss 5 fr coin - here the "B" mintmark means Bern. If that was silver, your coin would be extremely rare and worth about €10,000 ;) but it's probably the Cu-Ni type, with a mintage of about 34 million. Next to it, a Swiss 1 fr coin. The 10 francs dated 1958 is from France before the 1960 reform again.

Christian
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:24:35 PM by chrisild »

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:22:19 PM »
Hello Christian
Thanks lot for information!!I have few more coins ..I will upload pictures soon.
Restriction size to 65kb is tough task. I usually take pictures from 8 Mpix camera or 5Mp mobile....any suggestions for restricting size?
Vivek

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
In the bottom image, you have the "B" mintmark on both coins - except that on the left (French) it means Beaumont-le-Roger while on the right (Swiss) it means Berne again.

As for the image sizes, have a look here http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,120.0.html for example. There are tools that let you resize an image, or reduce its resolution. Another option is to post your images to a third party (or maybe your own) website, and then use links here ...

Christian

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 10:58:15 PM »
The Swiss coins are still in circulation. Next time you go to Switzerland, you can spend them.

Bart