News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

China, Kuang-Hsu, machine struck brass.

Started by Arminius, June 13, 2011, 06:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arminius

Hello,

country and reign of this round piece of metal are obvious, but so far i can´t find out more.

China, Ch'ing dynasty, emperor: Te Tsung, reign title: Kuang-Hsu, 1875-1908, ? mint, struck ca. 1898-1908 AD.,
1 Cash or Wen (?) (15 mm / 1,12 g), brass, machine struck,
Obv.: 光 / 绪 / 通 - 寶 , Kuang (top) - Hsu (below) - T'ung (right) - Pao (left) of center, (Kuang Hsu Current Coin), all in a dotted circle, ornaments (2 dragons?) around, sun or fireball above.
Rev.: 6 Chinese characters.
KM ? .

Thanks

Figleaf

I believe the mint name is Pei Yang (characters at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock). That would make it Chihli province Y 66.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Arminius

Thanks Peter !
Seems i yust oversaw the KM picture on all these pages filled with exotic Asian material.

;)

If i foud out right, the other reverse characters are:

"incidental expenses" (small change?)  零用 (língyòng) ,
1 一,
Cash 文

:)

Figleaf

Not a problem. I enjoyed the puzzle.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Chinasmith

Made at the Peiyang Mint in Tientsin around 1904-1908. I would have to check my records to pin down the actual dates. In the late 1960's a dealer in the USA obtained a small hoard of this coin -- mostly uncirculated or nearly so.
Researcher on coins, paper money and tokens of China.